Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Be More Festive This Christmas

Christmas just isn't the same as you get older.
Gone are the days where you wake up at 6 o'clock in the morning to a mound of presents and a never ending supply of food.
Trips to Santas grotto just aren't the same anymore now you know he's a 50 year old impersonator who works part time at Aldi. As for gift giving... there's nothing more fun then running around like a headless lunatic on Christmas eve trying to get your mothers present which alas.. is out of stock.
 
Its no wonder people turn into complete scrooges.
 
 
 
 
In todays post I'll be sharing some helpful tips to keep you festive this Christmas.

Hereeee we goooo....




If you really want to get into the festive spirit then the best way to start off is by decorating your home. Don't leave putting up your tree to the last minute, put it up now. Go out and buy pretty decorations to match your home for it (we went for purple and silver).. and the more fairy lights the better. There's nothing more cosy sitting in your room with the tree glowing and the nice smell of a Christmas yankee candle burning.





Every year I always make sure I watch at least one Christmas film on Christmas eve to get me excited. Plan a night to yourself or with people and get the popcorn out. I'll list my favourites below..

Its a Wonderful Life
Elf
Home Alone
The Holiday
Jingle All The Way
ANY of the Christmas Carol films (there's loads but its an amazing story)
Love Actually





The great thing about this is that Christmas jumpers are actually pretty popular these days around Christmas time so you won't look like more of a fool than anybody else. Also its FUN to dress up and wear something different and as this holiday only comes around once a year its the perfect opportunity to do just that! I found some cute jumpers from primark and at only £12.99 you can't really complain so go out and buy one.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Christmas cards are so cheap. You can literally get a pack of about 50 for a couple quid so there's no excuse on this one. Plan an evening and make a list of people who you care about, work with, associate with in life and write them a card and give it to them. It'll make them smile
 
 
 
 
 
 
If your feeling glum then they always say listening to music helps. Update your iPod with some Christmas songs and listen to them on your way to work. Play them while you wrap your presents or while you write out Christmas cards..
 
 
 
 
 
If films and cheesy songs aren't your thing then put down that terrible 50 shades book and read something 50x better. There are so many incredible novels which will put you in the festive spirit. Again.. I'll list a few.
 
A Christmas Carol
The Polar Express
A Visit From St Nicolas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
 
 
 
 
 
Work places usually try and come up with a special treat for staff during Christmas. Last week I went on my works do to a hotel where we had a three course meal and a disco. Its a good excuse for a night out and perhaps some free booze.. and another excuse to buy a new outfit so go for it.
 
 
 
 
 
Christmas is all about food and putting on weight you didn't want to so why not contribute and try your hand at cooking something.
For some inspiration click here to view a wide range of recipes
 
 
 
 
 
If your lucky enough to live near/in a town that provides a Christmas market as this time of year then I suggest you go because its great. The one I went to in Manchester provided amazing food and drink and gorgeous little stalls which sold hand crafted decorations and gifts. It was a lot of fun and the perfect day out.
If you don't have any Christmas markets near you then visit your nearest skating rink. Sometimes towns will create one for a short amount of time while its the Christmas season
 
 

 
 
Many places this time of year put on great shows. Go to your towns panto or if you fancy something a bit more classy go see something from the west end!
 
 
 
 
 
There's something really satisfying about putting the time and effort into a gift for a loved one and then seeing their reaction when they receive it. Give youself plenty of time to pick out something what you think the person would like and then gift wrap it up all nice. You could also try my do it yourself hamper here.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Christmas is about spending time with your loved ones. Don't be alone this Christmas. Don't be a Grinch and sit in your room all day. Take the time out to show your family/friends how much you appreciate them.
 
 
EndEndEnd
Thanks for reading :)
 
 If  you have any additional tips you think should be included in this list then feel free to comment. The more tips the better. Lets stomp out the Grinch's this year!
 
Also I will be adding another Christmasy post soon that'll tingle your taste buds so stick around!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



24 comments:

  1. Like how you layout ways to be festive so true and great list doll.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tips! All the little things help bring back the magic associated with Christmas.. and the more you do, the merrier the Christmas I think. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. This is a great list, I always feel more christmassy when the decorations go up :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)
      I'm one of those weirdo's who'd have them up all year round if I could! ha.

      Delete
  4. I loved this! I am obsessed with Christmas however so I don't even need to do any of this to make me in the mood I do it because well I'm obsessed, ha! This is a great list though!

    Angi@ cantbuymelovvve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit- it's pretty easy for me to get into the Christmas spirit. It's my favorite! (Yes, I'm aware I sound like Buddy the elf.) But even I sometimes need an extra boost. This list is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love Christmas from the 1st of December I am in the festive mood! I love Christmas music and decorations and best of all the food! Its like you can stuff your face for the whole month and totally not feel bad about it. Ok all I need now is Christmas jumper :-) yippppe xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like that every year!! I just remember being so happy around Christmas time, this list is a great idea to get festive :D who knew!!
    <3
    vickihert.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this list! The film part and decorating part have been covered! I also went to a Christmas market today and have planned a trip to winter wonderland and to go ice skating in a weeks time when im back in London. Cinnamon buns and a Christmas dinner should be added to the list! I may have just had both with a group of friends! Cinnamon buns are the reason I live!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ELF is definitely my favourite christmas film and decorating the house always makes me feel christmasy x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip Sammeh...made my way to Primark yesterday to get some Christmas jumpers for our office Christmas jumper day. Great post! Have a good week ahead :)

    Marj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww really! I wish my works did that!
      Glad I could help :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Sam,

    Love this post! Just wanted to let you know that I spotlighted it on my blog for my December Blog Love post. :)
    x
    Bobbi

    www.productdoll.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow! That's so flattering. Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. Good list! I always feel so Christmasy after the Christmas films are on x x

    http://fortheimperfectlyperfect.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will never feel like Scrooge 'cause Christmas is my favourite time of the year ♥ Good tips, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those jumpers are so adorable! My favorite is the christmas pudding one! I found your blog through bloglovin and I made sure to follow it because it is amazing!

    http://fashionsmilescupcakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Christmas, it's my favorite time of the year! So i never feel like Scrooge ;)
    I have that 'I LOVE SANTA' JUMPER', it's so cute and comfy ;)
    x Audrey
    fashionhightea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you don't mind old films watch white christmas. That can get anybody in a christmasy mood :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated :)
I read every single one and do my best to reply to all.
Please feel free to leave your blog links too as I like to take a little peak.