Friday, 27 December 2013

Guest Post - Do it yourself Dr Who cupcakes


Little Miss Cake Maker – Guest Blog Post



Hello :) I'm Little Miss Cake Maker and two of my most favourite things are cake and Doctor Who. It's been a great year for both as I started my little blog back in January and it's just been Doctor Who's 50th anniversary... so I've had the perfect excuse to combine them - and now I get to share it with you!



The first step of figuring out these epic cakes was to decide what flavour sponge to make. Some cake makers go crazy with wacky flavours but I really actually like good old vanilla, and generally chocolate is popular too. I finally decided, if there can be 11 (or 13 even..!) Doctors, there can't be anything wrong with making 2 batches of cakes! So I made my standard cupcake recipe which I'll detail below, with the first mixture containing just a bit of vanilla essence, and the second batch with a tablespoon of cocoa powder added.

Both of the batches of mixture makes 12 cupcakes each, and here's the general way to do it:

Ingredients:
125g (4 ounces) Margarine or butter
125g Caster sugar
125g Self-raising flour
2 eggs


Preheat your oven as it doesn't take longer than 10 mins roughly to make this mixture. Gas mark 4 or 180 degrees.

Measure out the ingredients and beat the eggs before mixing it all together in a bowl. If you have a food processor it's even easier but I don't. Mix until smooth and don't over-mix it, doesn't usually take long!

You need a 12-hole muffin tin and some cake cases to line them, then you simply spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into each.

Put them in the oven for 15-18 mins (don't open the door before then) and you can check they're done by pressing the top of the cakes gently with your finger – if they spring back they're done, if there's a finger dent in there they're not (eeep)!

Let them cool down in the tin for a little bit.


I can be quite indecisive and couldn't choose one cake design, so I decided to do 3! Here's my designery process on paper!

I can't say I didn't crazily enjoy making little mini Tardis' and minimalistic sugar Daleks, because I totally did. I really love adipose too. They've only been in one episide, but they definitely need to appear in another episode (if Steven Moffat happens to be reading??!), so for now I've regenerated them in marshmallow format (giant and mini to make their super-cute squidgy bodies).


So your cakes are baked and you're now wondering how to even begin making that amazing drawing into yummy reality (you know you are...).

First step, buttercream! Here's the recipe:

75g Butter or margarine
175g Icing sugar

Sift the icing sugar so there are no lumps – then gradually add to the butter, mixing it in to cream it up as it gets less buttery and more sugary! You can add a tiny bit of vanilla essence for flavour if you like but it takes good anyway.

Colour:
The food colouring I use is in paste form and comes in little tiny pots, but if you're not a regular baker you can find the liquid stuff in regular supermarkets – add it really gradually so you can see the how the colour goes as you mix it in, and add until it's proper TARDIS blue coloured! It seemed to take a while to get it blue enough, but totally worth it.


I used a piping bag and nozzle to pipe the buttercream onto the cakes, but if you don't have them, just use a spoon and try and swirl the icing to create the swirly sky effect :)

The rest of the decorations are all made using a mixture of ready to roll icing, royal icing and marshmallows.



If you're not an experienced baker you can usually buy coloured ready to roll icing but otherwise you mix in the colours with the same kind of paste as used for the buttercream, kneading it in until it's all mixed in. I then shaped the TARDIS by hand to make the rectangular boxes and made a little template out of card for the dalek outline, which I just rolled out the icing and cut around. The detail was added with royal icing – but you can usually buy piping gel from supermarkets in any colour too which would work easily. Edible silver balls were also clearly invented to decorate daleks with! You can be as creative as you want with the decorations, taking shortcuts or going all out if you prefer!


It would be so awesome to see anyone else's versions of these! – send them in to hello@littlemisscakemaker.com or post them to facebook: www.facebook.com/littlemisscakemaker

Allons-y!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Massive thank you to Sam for being my first guest blogger. I hope everyone enjoyed reading. Tell me what you thought of this post in the comments section. Also don't forget to follow her own personal blog here :)




16 comments:

  1. How amazingly clever are you?!?! I'm shocked! I could never do something like that!!! Well done x

    www.daisydaisyxxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my friend Sam who made these. You should check out her other creations on her own blog. They're so good! :)

      Delete
  2. These look incredible! I wish my baking attempts turned out so well! x

    cookiesandsparkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome - love how invested people get into decorating cup cakes - mine are always a poor show in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they turned out great! I love the little marsh mellow guys, such cuties. :)) Baking has been growing on me for a while now. I will post another Macaron baking post soon on my blog. ;)) Happy baking!

    Sincerely,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb guest blog. Love the Dr Who cup cakes really lovely and any fan would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These look amazing - I love cupcakes and I love Dr. Who, so I will just have to give these a try! Thanks for sharing!!!

    Meghan xo
    www.fancypantsandsugarshacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool idea, real creative (: xox

    http://positivelygrand.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they look amazing!!!

    www.ruzinscloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so impressed! Best cupcakes ever ;D

    <3 Carsla
    Founder & CEO of Connect-the-Cloths
    http://www.connect-the-cloths.com
    A stylist, foodie, & writer's blog in development.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the lovely comments, I'm so glad you all like my Docor Who cupcakes :D Follow my blog for updates and I'm always dying to hear new ideas for my next project!
    www.littlemisscakemaker.com @LMcakemaker www.facebook.com/littlemisscakemaker

    ReplyDelete
  11. No freakin way. She did such an amazing job. These are some of the best creations i have seen-- and i watch cupcake wars all the time!! LOL Thank you so much for sharing this post. my boyfriend absolutely LOVES Dr. Who, and if i were able to make these for Valentine's day-- he'd go nuts!!

    thank you for sharing again. Your girl is one talented chica!

    im a new follower of yours, and so glad i chose to stop by too-- your psots are so amazing and inspiring. i would love it if you were able to check my page out as well -- let me know in a comment if so! :)

    Rica x0x
    www.LaBellaVitax0x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I'll be sure to let Sam know what nice comments you've left her. If you get round to making these I'd love to see the results.

      You can follow her for her other creations on www.littlemisscakemaker.com
      I'll check your page out now and follow :)

      x

      Delete
  12. It's amazing! I love Doctor Who and... I'm hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated :)
I read every single one and do my best to reply to all.
Please feel free to leave your blog links too as I like to take a little peak.