Monday, 3 March 2014

A Look Into Anxiety

 
When I first started blogging back in 2013 one of the main topics I really wanted to talk about was depression. I wanted to make people aware of mental illness and the way it affects certain individuals and how people who suffer with it can find ways to cope.
It went down really well and I got a lot of positive feed back so this time round I thought I'd do a similar post on anxiety.


 
As well as struggling with depression for many years I have also have had to deal with having anxiety. I've had anxiety since I can remember. I can remember never wanting to go to school because I'd be too afraid but not sure of what I was afraid of or I'd never do simple things like going into town on my own to shop or go out with my friends. Even working in my job sometimes I get anxious and feel like I can't leave the house. It makes me feel terrible in myself sometimes, like I'll never be "normal" or that I'll never get anywhere in life. This of course brings on the depression and panic attacks.. its a horrible vicious cycle which sometimes is hard to break out of.



Most people get anxious from time to time. Its normal to get anxious if you have to give a speech in front of a large audience or if you have a deadline etc. but for people who have high anxiety the smallest things to you could mean the biggest to them.
 
 
 
There's so many different types of anxiety. To name a few there's social anxiety where you feel like you can't interact properly with people, there's separation anxiety which is a fear of being away from certain things i.e your home or loved ones & there's also GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) which is where you feel a constant wave of anxiety which can stop you from doing everyday tasks.
Having these feelings brewing up inside you can cause panic attacks which are very unpleasant. They can also appear without warning and without certain causes or triggers.

 
 Some common symptoms of panic attacks include :

* Heart pounding
* Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
* Hyperventilating
* Feeling nauseated or being sick
* Feeling faint
* Sweating
* Tiredness
* Muscle pains

                                                                     
As scary as panic attacks can be they are usually brief and no treatment is needed. Even though harmless they can result in loss of confidence or self esteem, low moods, general lack of concentration and prone to negativity. These things are not good when all we want is a good quality of life. We want to be happy and positive and feel like we can enjoy ourselves.

My three main tips to anyone struggling with this would be :

 1.
Baby steps.
I currently have a routine which eases the anxiety because its all repetitive and normal to me but every now and again I will push myself to do something different. Last week I pushed myself to go out into Manchester with my friends. Its a big deal to me as I've had numerous panic attacks on transportation to Manchester. However this time round I made it safe and sound and I probably had one of the best nights out I've had in a while. So yeah, start off with something small if you have to. Take a different way home or instead of staying in go out for a run. Little changes make a difference and you'll feel better for it.

2.
Don't let anybody pressure you into doing something your uncomfortable with.
Some people won't understand why you don't want to do certain things and will pressure you into doing them. I usually get the "comeeee onnnn, it'll be fun. Don't be rubbish" when my friends want me to come out but if I'm really not ready for giving it a go then I won't. Only say yes when your ready. Doing something your just not comfortable with yet can make things worse and then you'll feel like you'll never get anywhere. Just explain to people/family/friends your situation. The ones who matter will be there for you and will give you all the time in the world.

3.
Be positive.
Thinking and being positive in life has made such a big difference to my mental health. Instead of seeing the negative in a bad situation I'll try to find the good. For example, say I went into town to go shopping but I left after only half an hour, instead of being like "well that was a waste of time, I should of never bothered" I would say to myself  "You gave it a go, you made it all the way into town and that's better than not trying at all". When you feel positive it gives you the confidence booster and vastly improves your low moods. You'll then feel better about making certain decisions and worry less resulting in better progress with your anxiety.



My advice to people who know others who have anxiety would be.

1.
Be supportive
I can understand it can be frustrating at times dealing with someone who has anxiety. They may cancel plans last minute or ring in sick at work so you have to cover an extra shift or even have a full blown panic attack with you in public. Making them feel worse about the situation won't help them. Instead try to be a little more understanding and supportive. Reassurance goes a long way and it helps people who suffer with the condition feel better. If your putting them down and yelling at them they're hardly going to try again.

2.
Be predictable and reliable.
If you say your going to be somewhere at a certain time then be there. Even if your 15 minutes or so late it could trigger attacks because that person had to wait on their own and it made them panic. Let them set a time and place and do your best to be as flexible as you can with this. If you feel like your going to struggle then let them know in advance.

3.
Encourage not pressure.
There's nothing wrong with a little encouragement to help a friends progress. Let them set the pace for their recovery but praise them and be positive. Do not ever pressure them.


Mental illness is still discriminated and seen as less important to other conditions. We all need to open our eyes and be less ignorant about it as it affects us all at least once in our life's. If you feel like you need help then make an appointment with your doctor and discuss what options are best for you. You don't need to suffer and keep it to yourself.

Anyhoo's......
I could go on and on about this topic but I think I'll wrap it up here. If you got this far and read my entire post then thank you so much and I hope you understood things a little better.

Please feel free to leave your comments as they are all very much appreciated.
If you have any other tips on dealing with anxiety or helping others then feel free to post that below too.

Thanks for reading and as always posts are every Wednesday!

:)

 

28 comments:

  1. Great post I started getting panic attacks a few years ago and have found my anxiety a lot worse since they started. Its so good to see other people talk about it openly because a lot of the time I don't think its taken seriously. Its good to know other people feel like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww this is a great post. I think it will really give a lot of people an eye opener !
    Eb x
    Thefearlessfox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does make people open their eyes because from personal experience a lot of people are ignorant about this kind of subject.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. great post raising awareness. as a mental health student nurse - a few months away from being a registered nurse - i really enjoy reading posts like this. a great tip that is all the rage at the moment and really does work is mindfulness. there's lots of great material on the internet and it is really simple, and you can do it almost anywhere.

    not-stayingin.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Its nice to be complimented on this post by someone who knows a lot about it.

      x

      Delete
  4. This post is wonderful, I have anxiety so I can relate to a lot of it. I'm sure it'll give other people a better understanding too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it all makes sense and you relate. Maybe working on some of my tips could help you a long with dealing with Anxiety too.

      Thanks for your comment and thanks for taking the time out to read my post too :)

      Delete
  5. This is encouraging to see this topic being discussed so openly. I appreciate you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll always speak openly about mental health as its something I feel very strongly about.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this Sammeh. Mental health is one issue that most people find difficult to understand. I went through a very rough patch in my life 4 years ago. I realised how easy it was to just wake up one day and think that you'll take your own life. It happened to me. Luckily, it was short-lived. Otherwise I wouldn't be here now, and I would have left my family suffering. Good on you to start a blog and write your thoughts and feelings, and educate as much readers as possible about having a vulnerable mental health. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people find it hard to understand because its not a illness that they can see pshyically. People may look fine but could be suffering in silence. Theres no way to tell who has and hasn't got it. I'm glad you pulled yourself out of your rough patch though! I was the same a couple years back. I didn't get out of bed for like 6 month and I couldn't be bothered doing anything anymore. It was horrible. Maybe if more people stood up and spoke about it then they'd get the right attention and treatment.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Sammeh for sharing your thoughts with us. Keep on blogging and openly addressing such taboo topic, it makes ppl aware of it and connect us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post, thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it and it makes it worth spending the time writing it all out :)

      Delete
  9. This is a great post. I used to suffer really badly from anxiety and, like you, never really understood what was causing my stress - instead I'd get obsessively afraid of one thing. I've pretty much recovered now and can stop myself getting really anxious like I used to. I really hope you start to feel better soon, I truly know how horrible it is. It's great that you have the confidence to be open about it - I never would have done, as you said, the stigma still attached to mental illness is ridiculous, and it's a shame that it stops people from getting the support they need.

    Lisa xo | lisaandfox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really appreciate you commenting on this and I'm glad you've pretty much recovered! I have good and bad spells but I think the good outweighs the bad more or less these days. Its just about keeping positive!

      x

      Delete
  10. Just found your blog and I love it! New follower over here :) xx

    www.poptartsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Always room for more followers here :)

      Thanks for commenting and i hope you like reading my other posts xxxx

      Delete
  11. Thanks to talk about it... It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anxiety and panic attacks are horrible, I have experience :P ! Even more horrible is that as you pointed out, mental illnesses are discriminated against or then someone super smart says that they are all fake, that is so dang annoying. I have just got diagnosed with ADHD (that caused most of my depression, anxiety etc) and it's so annoying to read when people tell that's fake :P. Sure, I suffered and spent a long while in hospital just for fun >:[ !!

    Thank you for this article :)

    x
    Lara Lizard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are just ignorant. They are so consumed in themselves they don't look closely at other people to understand what goes on in their heads. As long as you have a few people in your life who you care about and vice versa then thats all that matters. Screw what anybody else thinks.

      Thanks for commenting and i hope things are better now :)

      xx

      Delete
  13. Amazing post on anxiety, I think I have all 3. XD
    I'm glad you got to go out with friends and enjoy yourself!
    Since I don't get out much, I don't meet many people, therefore I don't have many friends. :/
    I also have had various jobs. My biggest regret is just up and quitting my job at Victoria's Secret. They picked ME to be an "angel"....and it felt amazing. I mean, come on...it's me. They picked me. And I blew it.
    This helped a lot, and baby steps are definitely the key. It's just hard to tell whether doing something is just opening your comfort zone or too much for you. You know what I mean? I never know when to push myself forward. :/

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need heaps of friends. As long as you have a few good people in your life who understand you then thats whats important.

      When i'm stuck with pushing myself forward i usually set a date say like in a week then I'll attempt it. Or if i'm feeling brave i'll do it on a spur of the moment thing. If it falls through then i try the day after or the day after that till i get it. I never just give up.

      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  14. Such a great, informative post! I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember and was diagnosed with depression when I was 15, so I really love what you are doing with this post!

    daniellecaliforniaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope things get easier for you. If you ever decide to write about it in the future let me know as i'd love to read about your opinion on the matter

      x

      Delete
  15. Beautifully written and informative post! I have studied depression and anxiety in psychology at school, and have done student placements at the psychiatric ward at a hospital. I have a close friend who suffers, and I would not be able to imagine what she goes through. Your words here are so helpful, keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment!

      Thank you :) and its nice how you acknowledge your friends "condition" (i say with quotations as i hate it being called a condition). If there were only more people like you!

      x

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful, inspiring post. Thank you for sharing. The more this is spoken about the more chance that the stigma of mental health issues will be taken away. I started having anxiety/depression issues in my mid 30's and was unable to leave the house alone for almost 2 years. It took me another 18 months after that to be able to go out on my own, beginning with, as you so rightly said, baby steps. I began by opening the outside door and sitting on the bottom step inside the house. Even that made me shake & cry. Now I work part time (only 2 days a week) and its really hard sometimes but I know that if I gave up my job, I'd stop going outside again. This is a wonderful post, thank you for raising the profile of this debilitating condition, so many people don't understand. Bless you honey, sending hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated :)
I read every single one and do my best to reply to all.
Please feel free to leave your blog links too as I like to take a little peak.