Wednesday, 27 May 2015

A trip to Smithills Open Farm

Usually after getting in at 8am from work I love nothing more than collapsing into bed and napping for a few hours. However, my sister Kirsty invited me to tag along for the day at Smithills open farm and I couldn't miss the opportunity to spend some time with my niece and nephew.
Spring is the perfect time to visit the farm as you can see all the new baby animals as well as letting the kids do a list of activities. With this in mind I grabbed my new camera to take some photos that Kirsty could keep as a nice little memory..
 

When we arrived at the farm it was cloudy and dull but boy was it busy. We headed into an area of hay bales where the staff were doing talks about the new arrivals. They brought out baby lambs you could bottle feed and baby chicks and rabbits to hold. At the end they ask for volunteers to hold a gigantic 12 foot python. I remember doing this on a previous visit with about 5 other people and that thing was heavy! Highly enjoyable though as I love snakes.

We walked around the farm feeding all the eager calfs, goats and piglets which was a task in itself as those buggers will straight off pinch the entire bag of feed. Aly made me laugh shouting at the goats "NO, you've had enough, its this one's turn now!'. Andy (Kirsty's fiancee) spent a good five minutes perfecting the ultimate selfie with a cow.

Once we came out of the main area, Aly saw the donkeys and insisted she NEEDED to go on them. For £1 a ride we could hardly say no and she was excited up until she got on it where she then pulled her face the entire duration of the ride. After coming off the donkey she told me "I wasn't scared or anything"... complete lies. The fear was real haha.





After the donkey ride we visited the reptile house which housed a huge tarantula and frogs much to my horror. We then took the kids to a big indoor play area filled with bouncy castles, toy tractors and other activities. Aly and Jacob were thrilled when they had the bouncy castle to themselves. Jacob spent the entire time trying to stand up but then endlessly falling over much to the amusement of us adults.

Once all our feed bags had been well and truly emptied we decided to call it a day and head back. Running on a mere 3 hours sleep the previous night I was piratically day dreaming about my bed but the kids were less enthusiastic as they didn't want to leave at all. Overall we all had a really enjoyable day and I'm glad I traded in my sleep to spend time with my family. Family is important, don't ever forget that. I'll leave you all with a few more pictures :)







Thanks for reading. 
What did you do this weekend? Leave me a comment and don't forget to add your blog links so I can take a peak 
x





Photos & words - Sammeh Williamson

3 comments:

  1. seems like you had a very nice day, I love animals xx

    Celia from Brand Of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful family day! That little puppy asleep is just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww!!! it seems such an amazing family trip.. Your niece and newphew are so cute <3 Bless!!!
    Rafiia
    www.mysteriousblogger21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated :)
I read every single one and do my best to reply to all.
Please feel free to leave your blog links too as I like to take a little peak.